Articles, Blogs, Whitepapers, Webinars, and Other Resources
How can DevOps benefit the security of an Organization?
Should we even consider the software development era before DevOps? Before DevOps, the product development teams used to work in complete isolation from the Operations team. Software deployments used to consume more time since testing was an isolated activity. Teams involved in the development processes were consumed partial important tasks like designing, testing, and deployment rather than building the project. The manual deployment process used to be affected by human errors, coding and operation teams used to have separate delivering timelines which caused massive delays in the overall build cycle. DevOps will not magically solve all your organization’s pain areas, but it surely has benefits you need to move forward in the fast pace and rapidly changing software development industry.
Benefits of Following and Implementing the DevOps Process
- Faster time to market
- Higher ROI
- Greater user/customer satisfaction
- Increased efficiency
- Improved collaboration
- Early detection and correction of issues
Security is a vital pillar of the DevOps process and the whole DevOps process would be meanings less if the security of the product is not achieved throughout. Security implemented during DevOps is also considered as another independent field which is known as DevSecOps – Development Security Operations and within the DevOps process, it is known as Continuous Security. Before moving forward to the benefits, let’s have a look at Home DevSecOps Work.
DevOps Implementation in your Organization:
Implementation of DevOps requires skilled and dedicated human resource and this is one of the main challenges which organizations fail since DevOps professional are not easily available in the Global Tech Community. As an organization, you can hire dedicated professionals for your DevOps implementation, monitoring, management and so on OR you can train your existing IT team through DevOps training online. Training your IT team will help them evolve as better delivering professionals, they are the people who already understand the culture of your company and it will easier for them to shift to following DevOps process. To deploy and implement DevOps culture in your organization, you need to;
- Create an Implementation Plan
Any new technology adoption requires an implementation plan and the same goes for DevOps, an implementation plan can help retrieve the clarity as to how the whole organization can get used to of the DevOps.
- Monitor your DevOps Adoption through Meaningful Metrics
Create Metrics and make sure that you keep learning from the outcomes so that you can improve the DevOps process and eventually make it flawless to achieve your company’s goal.
- Align on DevOps Goals across Your Organization
Understand the fact the DevOps process won’t work if the people aren’t ready to follow the process and abide by certain limitations and timeline. Make sure that every stakeholder of the process is in the loop during the implementation process.
- Integrate Specialization to smooths the Deployment pipeline
Since DevOps follow the Agile methodology, it is vital to understand the importance of Agile processes where each stakeholder is involved in the development process to better understand and be able to deliver in-time quality software or product.
- Prioritize DevOps Culture before DevOps Tools
This can’t be emphasized enough that DevOps Culture and mindset is vital to make DevOps process work. Tools to help implement DevOps are secondary.
- Expedite the Deployment pipeline
Release of the software becomes a combined responsibility of the whole team rather a single entity. And if the released product is not of the quality or of expected
- Overcome the challenges of adopting DevOps Culture
This will require constant learning from the Metrics you have created and if you find lacking, those lacking require early resolution to adopt a quick DevOps Cultural shift.
DevOps Security – Continuous Security Benefits:
It is essential to implement CS (Continuous Security) in your DevOps Cycle. DevOps is a technical implementation of the whole development and the operational cycle of a product, but DevOps also depends on the organizational culture and it is a responsibility of the team to be an active part to drive the whole process successfully and flawlessly. Even if you encounter some flaw during the process, it is highlighted, and the identifier is triggered instantly to make sure that the issue is solved as soon as possible.
DevOps Security or DevSecOps must be considered and implemented throughout the DevOps Cycle. The benefits of DevSecOps includes;
- Detection and fixation of issues in the development process get faster which ultimately increases the delivery speed.
- Increased recovery speed in a security breach by utilizing templates and pet or cattle methodology.
- Publicly bug or threat hunting can be avoided which can cause a bad market image, and therefore can potentially increase sales.
- Improved overall cycle’s security by reducing vulnerable points, reducing insecure default functions, and by upscaling code coverage.
- Efficiently manages security monitoring, auditing, and notification systems.
- Every stakeholder of the DevOps process is responsible for security. DevSecOps enable a culture of transparency from the initial stage of the DevOps cycle.